War Crime—the Ponte Dragone Executions

The River Aso between Petritoli and Ortezzano, in Fermo Province—a few miles downstream from Ponte Dragone, where three ex-prisoners of war and an Italian I.S.9 agent were executed in March 1944
Image—Wikimedia Commons

In dark of night on March 10, 1944, three escaped British POWs and an I.S.9 agent involved in Ratline evacuations of POWs to Allied territory were executed on the Dragone Bridge. Ponte Dragone is three miles from the village of Montedinove. Earlier that day, the four men had been captured and interrogated by officers of the Montalto Marche branch of the German S.S. Brandenburg Regiment.

One year later, members of the Allied Forces’ Special Investigation Branch (SIB) conducted an investigation into the matter.

According to Italy: Imperial Prisoners of War Alphabetical List, Section 1, British Army, the POWs who were killed had been interned in two camps:

Gunner Lionel H. J. Brown (Parachute Regiment, Army Air Corps) had been interned in P.G. 70–Monteurano, near Fermo, Ascoli Piceno.

Private Daniel R. Hollingsworth (The Buffs, Royal East Kent Regiment) and Private Thomas White (also of The Buffs) had been interned in P.G. 53–Sforzacosta, Macerata.

These killings are referenced in the recent “Service in Italy for Three Soldiers” post on this site. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission announcement refers to the killings as having occurred at Ponte Del Diavolo. However, the official account references Ponte Dragone as the site of the killings.

In 2014, researcher Brian Sims shared the SIB files for this case with me. He had found and photographed the files at the British National Archives, Kew.

Presented in this post is the final report that resulted from the SIB investigation. Dr. Luigi Donfrancesco has translated the full report into Italian, which follows the transcript in English below.

Luigi—whose uncle, I.S.9 agent Andrea Scattini, was killed in action during the war—provides this overview of area rescue operations at the time:

“Lieutenant Uguccione Ranieri ‘di Sorbello’ (cover name ‘Ugo’ or ‘Hugh’ or ‘Hugo’), from his post at Villa Vinci, Cupramarittima, headed a group of Italian agents who managed rescue operations and the organization of the Ratline in the months of November and December 1943.

“Virgilio Giovannetti (cover name ‘Nanni’), from his post in Porchia (at Francesco Vecchiarelli’s house) was responsible for operations in the months of January and February, 1944, until March 10, 1944, when the German S.S. Brandenburgers discovered and raided Vecchiarelli’s house, which afterward was kept under surveillance.

“Diego Vecchiarelli was seriously wounded, Mario Mottes was arrested and later shot, and ‘Nanni’ Giovannetti was wanted by Germans and Fascists. Therefore, ‘Nanni’ crossed the lines to reach the Allies in the south.

“After March 10, 1944, the responsibility for Ratline rescue operations and related activities passed to Captain Luigi Stipa, from his post at Villa Stipa, Appignano del Tronto, near Offida. He managed operations until liberation by Allied troops on June 6, 1944.”

Biographic information and a photograph of Lionel H. J. Brown is available on the Airborn Assault website.

Luigi comments, “POW Lionel Herbert John Brown’s third name of John explains why he said to Luzi Bruno in Ortezzano that his name was ‘Giacomo.’ His 1st Parachute Battalion was called ‘The Red Devils’ by Germans in North Africa.

“The 1st Parachute Battalion was dropped in Sicily in the night of July 13, 1943, to conquer the ‘Primosole’ (First Sun) Bridge, the main access to the Catania plain, and probably he was captured then.”

Regarding POW Ernst Chauntry, who remained uncaptured, Luigi suggests, “he was probably more cautious and less adventurous than the other three, and may have disapproved stopping at various farms for food and wine and/or walking to Porchia as a group of four, because they could easily be spotted by Fascists, Germans, or spies.

“Perhaps he did not wish to try and cross the lines with land then covered by snow, and preferred to wait in his safe shelter until spring time. Maybe the discussion at one of the farms was about these matters, and that was why he returned to the farm of Veroli, where he remained until the liberation.”

The Official SIB War Crimes Report


H.Q., ‘A’ Group, 60 Section, Special Investigation Branch, c/o A.P.M’s Office, 61 Area, Central Mediterranean Forces.


Alleged War Crime against three British ex-Prisoners of War and another believed an ‘A’ Force Agent, who were shot at MONTEDINOVE, on 10–11 March, 1944.

Deceased presumed to be :-

(C) Thomas WHITE,
(D) Mario MOOTIS, Belgian Subject.

To :-
D.A.P.M. [Deputy Assistant Provost Marshall],
60 Section, S.I.B. [Special Investigation Branch]


Correspondence from D.A.P.M., 68 Section, S.I.B., ref. SIB68/A/44/350, containing the results of preliminary inquiries into the above matter, together with a report by the MONTEDINOVE Liberation Committee dated 25-7-44, and a statement by an ex-prisoner of war J. MYERS dated 31-8-44, were passed to this Group for investigation. Photographs of the victims in this case, taken after death, were also obtained from the initial file.

The information as a whole was contradictory, but briefly the SIB source suggested that an ‘A’ Force agent named MOOTIS [MOTTES] Mario, together with three British ex-prisoners of war, had been shot on or about the 10th March, 1944, near DRAGONE BRIDGE, MONTEDINOVE, after having been arrested and taken to the German Command Post at MONTALTO. The Liberation Committee alleged that VANNOZZI Vinicio and VANNOZZI Arturo were implicated in the crime, and also gave the names of likely witnesses. MYERS the ex-prisoner of war, states he saw a man named ROSCIOLI and other Fascists placing two English prisoners and two Italians against the wall of the Bridge, and a short time later the four dead men were photographed lying side by side. When this was done ROSCIOLI and three others were alleged to have thrown the two English prisoners into the stream below the Bridge.

From inquiries made and statements obtained the facts of this case would appear to be as follows.

Soon after the 8th September, 1943, a British ex-prisoner of war arrived at the home of LUZI Bruno of ORTEZZANO, and became known to the family as ‘GIACOMO’. He later gave LUZI some particulars which showed him to be L.H.J. BROWN, of 64 Ormonde Drive, Hampton, Middx. [Middlesex], England.

From the 28 January, 1944, two British ex-prisoners of war were sheltered by ROSSI Nazzareno, also of ORTEZZANO, and were known as ‘DANIELE’ and ‘TOMMASO’. The particulars left by these two men with ROSSI are as follows :-

59 Weston Road, Canning Town,
London, E.16.

189 Coopers Lane,
Leyton, London, E.10.

On the 5th March, 1944, HOLLINGSWORTH and WHITE visited LUZI’s house and on leaving they were accompanied by BROWN. They did not return to the house and nothing was heard of them until the 9th March, 1944, when they visited the farm of VEROLI Angelo, near ORTEZZANO, where a further ex-prisoner of war, known as “ERNESTO” was residing. The four men left the farm together and walked across the ASO valley in the direction of PORCHIA, stopping at various farmsteads for food and wine.

In the early evening of the same day, 9th March, a dispute arose at one of the farms, and as a result ‘ERNESTO’ returned to the home of VEROLI where he remained until the liberation. The VEROLI family have received a letter from ‘ERNESTO’ since his repatriation and his particulars are :-

36 Victoria Street, Hucknall
Notts [Nottinghamshire], England

HOLLINGSWORTH, WHITE and BROWN made their way to the village of PORCHIA and during this time, met another ex-prisoner of war known as ‘ADRIANO’. The four then called at the house of VECCHIARELLI Francesco who, with his family, were actively assisting Allied ex-prisoners of war and ‘A’ Force personnel. They asked for particulars of the next expedition crossing to their own lines, but no information was available at that time. They then left this house and went to the farm of CARLINI Camillo, where ‘ADRIANO’, who was known to CARLINI as an ex-P.O.W., asked permission, for the other three to stay that night at the farm. This request was granted but ‘ADRIANO’ left the farm stating that he was going to sleep elsewhere.

About 5 a.m. on the 10th March, 1944, a party of German soldiers visited the farm of CARLINI, arrested HOLLINGSWORTH, WHITE and BROWN and took them to PORCHIA. According to CARLINI, the actions of the Germans suggested previous knowledge of the whereabouts of the prisoners, and the layout of the farm.

The Germans then went to the house of VECCHIARELLI Francesco at PORCHIA, where they arrested his son GIUSEPPE, a boy named CORSALETTI Vittorio, and a Belgian, MOOTIS [MOTTES] Mario. The latter was known to the VECCHIARELLI family as a member of ‘A’ Force, and had been residing at their house for some months, whilst he was recovering from injuries sustained on landing, from a parachute descent. A second son, DIEGO, was shot through the face and left for dead. [Diego was admitted to Offida Hospital later that day and survived.]

VECCHIARELLI Giuseppe, MOOTIS, and CORSALETTI were taken from the house, and in the street they met ‘ADRIANO’ (who was accompanied by the three prisoners arrested at the house of CARLINI), surrounded by German soldiers.

They were all then marched to MONTALTO, where they were taken to the COLLEGIO SISTO V, home of the SALVATORIANI FATHERS, which was at this time being used as the German Command Post. There they were detained under guard with the exception of ‘ADRIANO’ who was apparently released upon arrival at the Command Post and was afterwards seen in MONTALTO by CARLINI.

During that afternoon the boy CORSALETTI, who had been arrested for suspected pro-allied activities, was escorted from the room where the prisoners were being held. He was apparently questioned, but was able to give a satisfactory account of himself and he was released. The interrogation of MOOTIS [MOTTES] then followed. When VECCHIARELLI Giuseppe was taken away for the purpose, he met MOOTIS [MOTTES] on a stairway and the latter said that he had told everything and that they were to be shot. MOOTIS [MOTTES] complained of being ill and believed that a cigarette, given to him earlier in the day by a German soldier, was the reason for his condition and for his divulging the knowledge he possessed. [Journalists and historians have attested to Nazi employment of “truth serum” and mind-altering drugs such as psychedelic mescaline in interrogations, sometimes administered through food or cigarettes.] VECCHIARELLI was taken before a German officer, known as Lieutenant FISCHER, who unsuccessfully attempted by means of a bribe of 600,000 lire and by threats of shooting, to obtain information regarding the whereabouts of ex-prisoners of war and the activities of ‘A’ Force. One of the SALVATORIANI FATHERS, LEIGHT Stephen, was then questioned by Lieut. FISCHER regarding the character of VECCHIARELLI, and afterwards the latter was allowed to return home.

Between 11 p.m. and midnight that day (10th March) a motor vehicle passed along the VAL D’ASO road in a westerly direction, stopping at the DRAGONE BRIDGE in the valley ASO. This bridge is about three miles from MONTEDINOVE and five miles from MONTALTO. Bursts of firing from an automatic weapon then followed, after which the vehicle was driven away eastwards.

The following morning, the 11th March, 1944, four bodies were found on the banks of the stream which flows beneath the DRAGONE BRIDGE. In the middle of the roadway, at the east end of the bridge there was a large pool of blood. In and around the blood there were some partly smoked cigarettes and many empty cartridge cases. Trails led from the pool of blood to either side of the bridge.

During the afternoon of the 11th March, the bodies were conveyed to the cemetery at MONTEDINOVE where a post mortem examination was conducted by Doctor MIRZABEK Nikola [Nicola]. This was not a detailed autopsy, as a bullet lodged in the head of one of the deceased was not removed, but it establishes that death was due in three cases to bullets penetrating the base of the skull, and in the fourth case, to the severance of arteries by bullets entering the back, near the spine. The deceased were buried in the cemetery at MONTEDINOVE on the 15th March, 1944, in graves numbered 241, 243, 271 and 275.

On Monday 12th February, 1945, I commenced enquiries into this War Crime accompanied by Sergeant GRAINGER of this Section and Official Interpreter PANICCIA Claudio, who acted in this capacity throughout the investigation.

I first visited MONTALTO where I interviewed CRIMI Filippo, who was Maresciallo of Carabinieri at the time the offence was committed. This official, now serving in ROME, professed to having no knowledge of the deceased apart from the disposal of the bodies, and gave no assistance with regard to the identification of the German unit stationed in the locality during that period. It is obvious that in his official capacity he must have been in possession of some relevant information and later inquiries shewed that Lt. FISCHER was billeted in CRIMI’s house. Throughout this investigation, I have received little or no assistance from the Carabinieri at MONTALTO.

Enquiries were continued at the farm of BENIGNI Pietro, which is situated about 200 yards west of DRAGONE BRIDGE. Statements were taken from BENIGNI Pietro and members of his family, setting out details of the date and time of the shooting, and of the finding and transportation of the bodies to MONTEDINOVE.

On the 7th March, 1945, I visited LUZI Bruno at ORTEZZANO, and the farm of VEROLI. They were shown the photographic exhibits but failed to identify among the deceased, the three prisoners who had left VEROLI’s farm on the 9th March, 1944, in company with ‘ERNESTO’ (CHAUNTRY), although they gave the names of these prisoners as ‘DANIELE’, ‘TOMMASO’ and ‘GIACOMO’. I was not satisfied with the interview with LUZI, but decided to leave the matter in abeyance pending further enquiries.

I next interviewed VALENTINI Tommaso, who gave a statement to the effect that on the night of the 10th March, 1944, he had heard bursts of automatic fire coming from the direction of DRAGONE BRIDGE and that on the following morning he had seen the four deceased men. He recognized Exhibits A1-6 as being photographs of the bodies he saw at the time. VALENTINI then produced two empty cartridge cases and a spent bullet which he testifies to having picked up on DRAGONE BRIDGE, the scene of the shooting. I took possession of these and marked them with the witness’s initials, ‘V.T.’, in his presence. These are Exhibits “C.2” in the case and were submitted for examination. The expert’s report, Exhibit “C.3”, shows them to be German origin and to have been fired from a German 9 mm automatic firearm P.38.

On the 15th March, 1945, I interviewed BISSELLI Adamo, who stated that on the night of the crime he was at a farmhouse about 125 yards from the VAL D’ASO road and about 500 yards East, (but out of sight) of DRAGONE BRIDGE. He saw a 15 TER Italian Army lorry being driven Westwards in the direction of the Bridge and was sure that the occupants were speaking Italian. He heard the vehicle stop, and shortly afterwards heard the sound of firing from an automatic weapon. The vehicle then returned and again BISSELLI heard voices from the lorry speaking Italian, but he was unable to distinguish any actual words. To clarify this point, it is known that in the detachment of MONTALTO were some persons of Italian origin and some who spoke fluent Italian, and further that the Unit had possession of many different types of vehicles. From the evidence to hand it would appear that the deceased persons were grouped together at the East end of the Bridge and killed by shots from an automatic weapon fired from behind. The bodies were then dragged to each wall of the bridge and dropped over the parapet two at either side.

The same day (15th March) I decided to make a detailed examination of the scene of the crime, and about 30 feet from the north side of the bridge, an about 20 feet from the parapet, I found a civilian cap, Exhibit “C1”. In it were holes which appear to have been made by the passage of bullets. Inside the cap was the maker’s trade mark, that of an eagle with outstretched wings, and under it was the word “ROMA”. There is some discrepancy in the statements as to which particular prisoner was the owner of this cap but it has been definitively identified as being the property of one of them.

Further statements were taken from the farms in the vicinity, and BENIGNI Pietro refers to a certain ROSCIOLI as being one of those responsible for the shooting. Whilst this man, ROSCIOLI Settimio, has been mentioned in several instances during the inquiry as being an extreme Fascist and most brutal in his dealings with ex-prisoners of war, there is no evidence to show that he was in any way connected with this particular crime.

In the statement obtained from VECCHIARELLI Giuseppe is set out the circumstances of his (VECCHIARELLI’s) arrest and subsequent detention with MOOTIS [MOTTES] Mario and the three prisoners. He gives valuable information respecting the identity of the German officers in charge of the MONTALTO Detachment and states that their names were FISCHER and ROMMEL, both Lieutenants.

A statement taken from Father LEIGHT of the SALVATORIANI FATHERS, corroborates that of VECCHIARELLI Giuseppe with regard to the identification of FISCHER and ROMMEL, and refers to the latter as a nephew of the late Field Marshal ROMMEL. The names of two Sergeants of this Detachment are also given – Sergt. GRILLE and Sergt. OLDENBURG. Father LEIGHT, who is of German nationality, states that the detachment was known as the ‘BRANDENBURGHERS’, but is of the opinion that they were not S.S. troops. It is apparent from various inquiries I have made, that the difficulty in this respect is probably due to the fact that these troops were a detachment of an S.S. mechanized division, which differs slightly in dress from the ordinary S.S. troops, and also that they were of mixed nationalities. This witness’s identification of the officers was positive, and it was doubtlessly due to LEIGHT’s intervention on behalf of VECCHIARELLI Giuseppe that the latter’s life was spared.

Having thus far taken all possible measures to identify the authors of the offence, efforts were then directed towards establishing the identity of the deceased. In the case of MOOTIS [MOTTES], no difficulty was encountered as he was well known to the VECCHIARELLI family and had given his particulars as being MOOTIS Mario, a member of ‘A’ Force, of Belgian nationality, and resident for a number of years in PERGINE, Northern Italy. This man is shown on Exhibit ‘A.5’ and is third from the left on Exhibit ‘A.6’.

During the interrogation of VECCHIARELLI Giuseppe, I was informed that the three deceased British Prisoners of War had visited his home in January, 1944, and had been conducted on the same day to the house of STIPA Luigi, at OFFIDA for the purpose of joining an expedition crossing to their own lines, but apparently this had failed. I therefore paid a visit to STIPA, who placed at my disposal certain documents disclosing Operations of an organization for assisting escaped prisoners of war to rejoin Allied territory. These documents showed that on the 20th January, 1944, an expedition left STIPA’s house to cross the line but was unsuccessful through lack of guides. Among this party were No. 6292081 Daniel R. HOLLINGSWORTH and No. 864044 Thomas WHITE. It will be seen that the Italian equivalents of these names correspond to those given by various witnesses of two of three British ex-prisoners of war in this case.

CARLINI Camillo, at whose farm three of the deceased were arrested, recognised the bodies shown on the photographs, and gave their names as ‘DANIELE’, ‘TOMMASO’ and ‘GIACOMO’. His denunciation of ‘ADRIANO’ as a spy was emphatic and it appears to be justified. The fact of his being present at the arrest of the others and his immediate release upon their arrival at the German Command Post, leaves little doubt that ‘Adriano’ did collaborate with the Germans, and that his object in leaving the farm of CARLINI was to betray the whereabouts of the arrested Prisoners of War. In doing so, he was one of the primary causes of the arrest and subsequent deaths of the four men. A description of ‘ADRIANO’ is embodied in CARLINI’s statement. This matter was to some extent confusing as the statement of VECCHIARELLI Giuseppe was to the effect that he thought the name of one of the deceased was ‘ADRIANO’. He later informed me however, that whilst he was confined with the British prisoners at the German Command Post, they mentioned ‘ADRIANO’ so often that he understood one of them to be of that name. It was probable, however, that this man was discussed by the ex-prisoners of war as having caused their arrest.

Enquiries were continued at farms in the vicinity of PORCHIA and it became increasingly clear that three of the deceased were identical with the prisoners who had left the house of VEROLI at ORTEZZANO in company of CHAUNTRY. In consequence of this, I again visited LUZI Bruno, and after questioning him with regard to the ‘GIACOMO’ who had resided with him, he recognised the body on the right of photograph ‘A.6’ as being this Prisoner of War. LUZI then handed ‘GIACOMO’s particulars to me and his name was given as L.H.J. BROWN. To render identification more positive, I included a description of ‘GIACOMO’ in LUZI’s statement.

On the same day I visited the farm of ROSSI Nazzareno, ORTEZZANO, who immediately recognised the two bodies shown on the left of the photograph marked ‘A.6’ and also on photograph ‘A.3’ as being those two prisoners, ‘DANIELE’ and ‘TOMMASO’ who had resided at his farm from 28 January until 5th March, 1944. I obtained the men’s particulars from ROSSI, and their names were given as Daniel R. HOLLINGSWORTH and T. WHITE respectively. Thus the identification of all four deceased was completed as far as possible.

From this and other inquiries in this district, it is evident that during the period 9th to the 12th March, 1944, a series of punitive expeditions took place through out the area directed against bands of ex-prisoners of war and patriots, and that the S.S. BRANDENBURGH Regt., under the command of a Captain KESTRING with Headquarters at ASCOLI PICENO, was the Unit responsible. Posters were exhibited offering a reward for information regarding the whereabouts of escaped prisoners and patriots, and forbidding anyone to assist or harbour them. The penalty for contravention was death. These orders were authorised by the commander of the German troops and appear to have been acted on literally by the officer commanding the German troops in the ASCOLI PICENO area and by his subordinates. That the officer or officers in charge of the detachment at MONTALTO seem to have been invested with full powers is apparent from the fact that VECCHIARELLI Giuseppe and CORSALETTI Vittorio were given their freedom, and any action taken by these officers must have been approved by the officer commanding in ASCOLI.

Since the commission of the offence, the DRAGONE BRIDGE was almost completely destroyed before the retreat of the Germans, but as a verbal picture of the scene of the crime would have left much to be desired, photographs were taken and these are numbered Exhibits ‘B.1’, ‘B.2’, ‘B.3’, and ‘B.4’ in this case.

The reports of the ex-Prisoners of War, W. MYERS [likely J. MYERS] and the MONTEDINOVE Liberation Committee, whilst providing a basis for this inquiry, are so divergent in detail from the true facts that they can be entirely discounted.

Should further proof of the identities of the deceased be required, I would respectfully suggest that Edward [Ernest] CHAUNTRY be contacted.

In conclusion I would point out that Lieutenant FISCHER was responsible for the release of VACCHIARELLI Giuseppe, and CORSALETTI Vittorio, and therefore it would appear that he was the officer in charge of the MONTALTO Detachment at the time when the crime was committed.

W. MOTTRAM. Sergeant.
60 Section, Special Investigation Branch.

16 May, 1945.

Read and submitted.

D.A. THORN. Lieut.
60 Section, Special Investigation Branch.

Exhibit ‘B.1’—Dragone Bridge from south side

Exhibit ‘B.2’—East end of bridge from south side

Exhibit ‘B.3’—East end, with locus of crime indicated by circle of stones

In Italian:


Quartier Generale, Gruppo “A”, Sezione 60,
Branca Speciale Investigativa,
c/o Ufficio A.P.M., Area 61,
Forze del Mediterraneo Centrale

OGGETTO: Presunto Crimine di Guerra contro 3 ex-Prigionieri di Guerra Britannici e un altro ritenuto Agente dell’ “A” Force, fucilati a MONTEDINOVE (Ascoli Piceno) il 10-11 Marzo 1944.

Si presume che gli uccisi siano:

(C) Thomas W. WHITE,
(D) Mario MOTTES, Cittadino Belga.

D.A.P.M. [Deputy Assistant Provost Marshall]
Sezione 60, S.I.B. (Special Investigation Branch).


Corrispondenza da D.A.P.M., Sezione 68, S.I.B. rif. SIB68/A/44/350, contenente i risultati di inchieste preliminari sull’argomento in oggetto, insieme a un rapporto dal Comitato di Liberazione di MONTEDINOVE del 25-7-44 e una dichiarazione da parte di un ex-prigioniero di guerra J. MYERS del 31-8-44, furono passate a questo Gruppo per investigazione. Fotografie delle vittime, prese dopo la morte, furono anche ottenute dal fascicolo iniziale.

Le informazioni sono state nel complesso contraddittorie, ma in breve la fonte del SIB ha suggerito che un Agente dell’ “A” Force di nome MOTTES Mario, insieme a 3 ex-prigionieri di guerra Britannici, vennero fucilati il /o attorno al/ 10 marzo 1944, presso il PONTE DRAGONE, MONTEDINOVE (AP), dopo essere stati arrestati e condotti alla sede del Comando Tedesco di MONTALTO. Il Comitato di Liberazione affermò che VANNOZZI Vinicio e VANNOZZI Arturo erano implicati in questo crimine, fornendo anche i nomi di probabili testimoni. MYERS, l’ex-prigioniero di guerra, afferma di aver visto un uomo di nome ROSCIOLI e altri Fascisti piazzare 2 prigionieri Inglesi e 2 Italiani contro il muro del ponte. Poco più tardi furono fotografati i 4 uomini morti che giacevano l’uno accanto all’altro. E’ stato asserito che dopo l’esecuzione ROSCIOLI e altri 3 abbiano gettato i 2 prigionieri Inglesi nel torrente sotto il Ponte.

Dalle inchieste fatte e dalle dichiarazioni ottenute i fatti di questo caso sembrano essere i seguenti.

Subito dopo l’8 settembre 1943, un ex-prigioniero di guerra Inglese arrivò alla casa di LUZI Bruno di ORTEZZANO (AP) e fu conosciuto dalla famiglia come “GIACOMO”. In seguito egli diede a LUZI alcuni dettagli che lo rivelavano essere L.H.J. BROWN, di 64 Ormond Drive, Hampton, Middlesex, Inghilterra.

[Lionel Herbert John BROWN, 1° Battaglione Paracadutisti. Nato il 18 Ottobre 1908 da John William e Louisa Blanche Brown. Preso prigioniero probabilmente in Sicilia dopo il 13 Luglio 1943, durante un’operazione di paracadutisti per conquistare il Ponte “Primosole” (sul fiume Simeto), principale via di accesso alla pianura di Catania. In seguito internato nel Campo di prigionia n. 70 di Monte Urano, Fermo, Marche].

Dal 28 Gennaio 1944, ROSSI Nazzareno, anche lui di ORTEZZANO, diede asilo a 2 ex-prigionieri di guerra Britannici, conosciuti come “DANIELE” e “TOMMASO”. I dettagli lasciati da questi due uomini sono i seguenti:

50 Weston Road, Canning Town,
Londra, E.16., Inghilterra

2. T. WHITE [Thomas William WHITE].
189 Coopers Lane
Leyton, Londra, E.10., Inghilterra

[Ambedue del 1° Battaglione, The Buffs (Reggimento Royal East Kent)].
Il 5 Marzo 1944, HOLLINGTON e WHITE fecero visita alla casa di LUZI e uscendo furono accompagnati da BROWN. Non tornarono a casa e non si ebbero loro notizie fino al 9 Marzo 1944, quando visitarono la fattoria di VEROLI Angelo, vicino ORTEZZANO, dove risiedeva un altro ex-prigioniero di guerra, conosciuto come “ERNESTO”. I quattro uomini si allontanarono insieme dalla fattoria e s’incamminarono attraverso la valle dell’ASO in direzione di PORCHIA, fermandosi in varie case coloniche per cibo e vino.

In prima serata dello stesso giorno, 9 Marzo, sorse una controversia in una delle fattorie, e il risultato fu che “ERNESTO” ritornò a casa di VEROLI e vi rimase fino alla liberazione. La famiglia VEROLI ha ricevuto una lettera da “ERNESTO” dopo il suo rimpatrio e i suoi dettagli sono:

36 Victoria Street, Hucknall
Notts [Nottinghamshire], Inghilterra.

HOLLINGWORTH, WHITE e BROWN arrivarono fino a PORCHIA e lungo il percorso incontrarono un altro ex-prigioniero di guerra conosciuto come “ADRIANO”. Poi i quattro andarono a casa di VECCHIARELLI Francesco, il quale, insieme alla sua famiglia, stava attivamente assistendo ex-prigionieri di guerra Alleati e personale dell’ “A” Force. Essi chiesero dettagli sulla prossima spedizione attraverso il fronte verso le proprie linee, ma al momento non vi erano informazioni al riguardo. Poi lasciarono questa casa e andarono alla fattoria di CARLINI Camillo, dove “ADRIANO”, che era noto a CARLINI come ex-prigioniero di guerra, chiese il permesso che gli altri tre si trattenessero per quella notte alla fattoria. Questa richiesta fu accolta ma “ADRIANO” lasciò la fattoria dicendo che sarebbe andato a dormire altrove.

Attorno alle 5 del mattino del 10 Marzo 1944, un gruppo di soldati Tedeschi visitarono la fattoria di CARLINI, arrestarono HOLLINGSWORTH, WHITE e BROWN e li portarono a PORCHIA. Secondo CARLINI, le azioni dei Tedeschi suggerivano precedente conoscenza del luogo dove si trovavano i prigionieri e della disposizione della fattoria.

I Tedeschi poi andarono a casa di VECCHIARELLI Francesco a PORCHIA, dove arrestarono suo figlio GIUSEPPE, un ragazzo di nome CORSALETTI Vittorio e un Belga, MOOTIS [MOTTES] Mario. Quest’ultimo era noto alla famiglia VECCHIARELLI come membro dell’ “A” Force, ed abitava nella loro casa da quasi due mesi, mentre si riprendeva da ferite subìte atterrando dopo lancio con paracadute [il 14 Gennaio 1944]. A un secondo figlio, DIEGO, spararono attraverso la faccia e lo lasciarono lì per morto.

VECCHIARELLI Giuseppe, MOOTIS [MOTTES], e CORSALETTI furono portati via dalla casa, e per la strada incontrarono “ADRIANO” (che era accompagnato dai 3 prigionieri arrestati a casa di CARLINI), circondato da soldati Tedeschi.

Poi tutti furono fatti marciare fino a MONTALTO, dove furono condotti al COLLEGIO SISTO V, casa dei PADRI SALVATORIANI, che all’epoca era usata come Postazione del Comando Tedesco. Là furono detenuti sotto scorta con l’eccezione di “ADRIANO”, che fu apparentemente rilasciato all’arrivo alla sede del Comando e fu in seguito visto a MONTALTO da CARLINI.

Durante quel pomeriggio il ragazzo CORSALETTI, che era stato arrestato per sospetta attività pro-alleati, fu scortato fuori dalla stanza dove erano tenuti i prigionieri. A quanto pare fu interrogato, ma fu in grado di dare un soddisfacente resoconto di sé stesso e fu rilasciato. Poi seguì l’interrogatorio di MOOTIS [MOTTES]. Quando VECCHIARELLI Giuseppe fu portato via per lo stesso motivo, incontrò per le scale MOOTIS [MOTTES], che gli disse di aver detto tutto e che sarebbero stati fucilati. MOOTIS [MOTTES] lamentò di sentirsi male e ritenne che una sigaretta [drogata] datagli nel corso della giornata da un soldato Tedesco, fosse stata la causa del suo malore e della sua rivelazione di quello che sapeva. VECCHIARELLI fu portato davanti a un ufficiale Tedesco, conosciuto come Tenente FISCHER, che inutilmente tentò con offerte di una bustarella di 600.000 Lire e con minacce e colpi di pistola sparatigli vicino, di ottenere informazioni su dov’erano gli ex-prigionieri di guerra e sulle attività dell’ “A” Force. Poi uno dei PADRI SALVATORIANI, LEIGHT Stephen, fu interrogato dal Tenente FISCHER sul carattere di VECCHIARELLI, dopo di che a quest’ultimo fu permesso di tornare a casa.

Fra le 23 e mezzanotte dello stesso giorno (10 Marzo) un veicolo a motore passò lungo la strada della VAL D’ASO in direzione ovest, fermandosi a PONTE DRAGONE nella vallata dell’ASO. Questo ponte è a circa 3 miglia da MONTEDINOVE e 5 miglia da MONTALTO. Seguirono poi raffiche di spari da un’arma automatica, dopo di che il veicolo andò via verso est.

Il mattino seguente, 11 Marzo 1944, furono trovati quattro corpi sulle rive del torrente [ASO] che scorre sotto il PONTE DRAGONE. In mezzo alla strada, all’estremità est del ponte c’era una larga chiazza di sangue. Dentro e intorno alla pozza di sangue c’erano alcune sigarette parzialmente fumate e molti bossoli vuoti. Tracce conducevano dalla pozza di sangue ad ambedue i lati del ponte.

Durante il pomeriggio dell’11 Marzo, i corpi furono trasportati al cimitero di MONTEDINOVE, dove un esame post mortem fu effettuato dal Dottor MIRZABEK Nikolla [Nicola]. Questa non fu un’autopsia dettagliata, dal momento che un proiettile nella testa di uno dei deceduti non fu rimosso, ma stabilì che la morte fu dovuta in tre casi a proiettili penetrati nella base del cranio, e nel quarto caso, alla rottura di arterie da proiettili entrati da dietro, vicino alla colonna vertebrale. I morti furono sepolti nel cimitero di MONTEDINOVE il 15 Marzo 1944, nelle tombe numero 241, 243, 271 e 275.

Lunedì 12 Febbraio 1945, ho iniziato le indagini su questo Crimine di Guerra accompagnato dal Sergente GRAINGER di questa Sezione e dall’Interprete Ufficiale PANICCIA Claudio, che ha agito in questa capacità per tutta la durata dell’inchiesta.

Ho visitato prima MONTALTO dove ho intervistato CRIMI Filippo, che era Maresciallo dei Carabinieri quando fu commesso il delitto. Questo ufficiale, che ora presta servizio a ROMA, ha dichiarato di non avere alcuna conoscenza dei defunti salvo lo smaltimento dei corpi, e non fornì assistenza sull’identificazione dell’unità Tedesca all’epoca stazionata in quella località. E’ ovvio che nella sua veste ufficiale deve essere stato in possesso di qualche informazione rilevante e indagini successive hanno rivelato che il Ten. FISCHER era alloggiato nella casa di CRIMI. Durante l’inchiesta ho ricevuto poca o nessuna assistenza dai Carabinieri di MONTALTO.

Le indagini furono continuate alla fattoria di BENIGNI Pietro, che è situata a circa 200 iarde dal PONTE DRAGONE. Furono ottenute dichiarazioni da BENIGNI Pietro e dai membri della sua famiglia, definendo i dettagli della data e dell’ora della sparatoria, e del ritrovamento e trasporto dei corpi a MONTEDINOVE.

Il 7 Marzo 1945, visitai LUZI Bruno a ORTEZZANO, e la fattoria di VEROLI. Ad essi furono mostrati i reperti fotografici ma non riuscirono a identificare fra i morti, i 3 prigionieri che avevano lasciato la fattoria di VEROLI il 9 Marzo 1944 in compagnia di “ERNESTO” (CHAUNTRY), benché avessero dato i nomi di questi prigionieri come “DANIELE”, “TOMMASO” e “GIACOMO”. Non fui soddisfatto dell’intervista con LUZI, ma decisi di lasciare la questione in sospeso in attesa di ulteriori indagini.

Intervistai poi VALENTINI Tommaso, che fornì una dichiarazione sul fatto che nella notte del 10 Marzo 1944, aveva udito raffiche di fuoco automatico provenienti dalla direzione di PONTE DRAGONE e che al mattino seguente aveva visto i 4 uomini morti. Egli riconobbe i Reperti A1-6 come fotografie dei corpi che vide allora. VALENTINI poi mostrò 2 bossoli vuoti e un proiettile usato che lui dichiara di aver raccolto sul PONTE DRAGONE, scena della sparatoria. Li presi e li contraddistinsi con le iniziali del testimone, “V.T.”, in sua presenza. Sono i Reperti “C.2” di questo caso, che sono stati sottoposti a esame. Il rapporto del perito, Reperto “C.3”, dimostra che sono di origine Tedesca e che sono stati sparati da un’arma da fuoco automatica Tedesca P.38, calibro 9 mm.

Il 15 Marzo 1945, Intervistai BISSELLI Adamo, il quale affermò che nella notte del crimine lui era in una fattoria a circa 125 iarde dalla strada della VAL D’ASO e circa 500 iarde a Est (ma fuori vista) del PONTE DRAGONE. Egli vide un camion 15 TER dell’Esercito Italiano che procedeva verso Ovest in direzione del Ponte ed era sicuro che gli occupanti del camion stessero parlando in Italiano. Udì il veicolo fermarsi, e poco dopo udì il rumore della sparatoria da un’arma automatica. Il veicolo poi tornò indietro e di nuovo BISSELLI udì voci dal camion parlare in Italiano, ma non riuscì a distinguere alcuna parola. Per chiarire questo punto, è noto che nel distaccamento [Tedesco] di MONTALTO c’erano alcune persone di origine Italiana e alcune che parlavano un Italiano fluente, e inoltre che l’Unità era in possesso di molti diversi tipi di veicoli. Dalle prove a portata di mano sembrerebbe che le persone decedute furono raggruppate insieme all’estremità Est del Ponte e uccise da colpi da un’arma automatica sparati da dietro. I corpi furono poi trascinati fino alle due spallette del ponte e lasciati cadere da sopra il parapetto, due da ciascun lato.

Lo stesso giorno, 15 Marzo, decisi di fare un dettagliato esame della scena del crimine, e a circa 30 piedi dal lato nord del ponte, e a circa 20 piedi dal parapetto, trovai un berretto civile, Reperto “C.1”. In esso c’erano buchi che apparivano essere stati fatti dal passaggio di proiettili. Dentro il berretto c’era il marchio del produttore, quello di un’aquila con ali spiegate, e sotto di essa la parola “ROMA”. C’è qualche discrepanza su quale particolare prigioniero fosse il proprietario di questo berretto ma è stato definitivamente identificato come proprietà di uno di essi.

Ulteriori dichiarazioni furono ottenute dalle fattorie nelle vicinanze, e BENIGNI Pietro riferisce che un certo ROSCIOLI è uno di quelli responsabili della sparatoria. Sebbene quest’uomo, ROSCIOLI Settimio, sia stato menzionato in molti casi come un Fascista estremo e molto brutale nei suoi rapporti con i prigionieri di guerra, non ci sono prove per dimostrare che egli sia in qualche modo connesso con questo particolare crimine.

Nella dichiarazione ottenuta da VECCHIARELLI Giuseppe sono indicate le circostanze del suo arresto e della successiva detenzione con Mario MOOTIS [MOTTES] e i tre prigionieri. Egli dà preziose informazioni sull’identità degli ufficiali Tedeschi responsabili del Distaccamento di MONTALTO e afferma che i loro nomi erano FISCHER e ROMMEL, ambedue Tenenti.

Una dichiarazione ottenuta da Padre LEIGHT dei PADRI SALVATORIANI corrobora quella di VECCHIARELLI Giuseppe riguardo all’identificazione di FISCHER e ROMMEL, e si riferisce a quest’ultimo come nipote del defunto Feldmaresciallo ROMMEL. Vengono forniti anche i nomi di due Sergenti di questo distaccamento – Serg. GRILLE e Serg. OLDENBURG. Padre LEIGHT, che è di nazionalità Tedesca, afferma che il Distaccamento era noto come i “BRANDENBURGHERS” – BRANDEBURGHESI, ma è dell’opinione che non fossero truppe S.S. E’ evidente da varie indagini che ho fatto, che la difficoltà a questo riguardo è probabilmente dovuta al fatto che queste truppe erano un distaccamento di una divisione S.S. motorizzata, che differisce leggermente nell’uniforme dalle ordinarie truppe S.S., e anche al fatto che essi erano di varie nazionalità. L’identificazione degli ufficiali da parte di questo testimone è stata certa, ed è stato senza dubbio a causa dell’intervento di LEIGHT a favore di VECCHIARELLI Giuseppe che la vita di quest’ultimo è stata risparmiata.

Avendo fin ora adottato tutte le possibili misure per individuare gli autori del delitto, gli sforzi sono stati poi diretti a stabilire l’identità dei defunti. Nel caso di MOOTIS [MOTTES], non c’è stata difficoltà dal momento che egli era ben noto alla famiglia VECCHIARELLI e aveva dato indicazioni di essere MOOTIS [MOTTES] Mario, membro dell’ “A” Force, di nazionalità Belga, e residente per vari anni a PERGINE, Italia del Nord [Pergine Valsugana, Trento]. Quest’uomo è mostrato nel Reperto “A.5” ed è il terzo da sinistra nel Reperto “A.6”.

Durante l’interrogatorio di VECCHIARELLI Giuseppe, fui informato che i tre Prigionieri di Guerra Britannici defunti erano venuti a casa sua nel Gennaio 1944, ed erano stati condotti nello stesso giorno alla casa di STIPA Luigi, a OFFIDA allo scopo di unirsi a una spedizione di attraversamento fino alle linee Alleate, ma apparentemente la cosa non riuscì. Perciò andai a fare visita a STIPA, che mise a mia disposizione certi documenti che svelavano le Operazioni di un’organizzazione per aiutare i prigionieri di guerra evasi a ricongiungersi al territorio Alleato. Questi documenti mostrarono che il 20 Gennaio 1944, una spedizione lasciò la casa di STIPA per attraversare la linea ma non ebbe successo per mancanza di guide. In questo gruppo c’erano Daniel R. HOLLINGSWORTH, matricola 6292081, e Thomas WHITE, matricola 864044. Si vedrà che gli equivalenti Italiani di questi nomi corrispondono a quelli, indicati da vari testimoni, di due dei tre ex-prigionieri di guerra Britannici di questo caso.

CARLINI Camillo, presso la cui fattoria tre dei defunti furono arrestati, riconobbe i corpi mostrati nelle fotografie, e li indicò per nome come “DANIELE”, “TOMMASO” e “GIACOMO”. La sua denuncia di “ADRIANO” come spia fu enfatica e appare giustificata. Il fatto che fosse presente all’arresto degli altri e il suo immediato rilascio al loro arrivo al Posto di Comando Tedesco, lascia pochi dubbi sul fatto che “ADRIANO” collaborò con i Tedeschi, e che il suo obiettivo nel lasciare la fattoria di CARLINI era quello di denunciare il luogo dove si trovavano i Prigionieri di Guerra arrestati. Facendo ciò, egli fu una delle cause principali dell’arresto e successiva morte dei quattro uomini. Una descrizione di “ADRIANO” è inclusa nella dichiarazione di CARLINI. La questione fu in qualche modo confusa perché la dichiarazione di VECCHIARELLI Giuseppe fu che lui riteneva che il nome di uno dei defunti fosse “ADRIANO”. Comunque in seguito m’informò che mentre lui era confinato con i prigionieri Britannici nel Posto di Comando Tedesco, essi menzionarono “ADRIANO” così spesso che lui fraintese che uno di essi avesse quel nome. Era probabile invece che quest’uomo [ADRIANO] fosse oggetto della discussione degli ex-prigionieri quale responsabile del loro arresto.

Le indagini sono continuate nelle fattorie nelle vicinanze di PORCHIA e divenne sempre più chiaro che tre defunti erano identici ai prigionieri che avevano lasciato la casa di VEROLI a ORTEZZANO in compagnia di CHAUNTRY. Di conseguenza, ho fatto visita di nuovo a LUZI Bruno, e dopo averlo interrogato riguardo al “GIACOMO” che aveva abitato con lui, ha riconosciuto il corpo sulla destra della fotografia “A.6” come quello di questo Prigioniero di Guerra. LUZI mi ha poi consegnato i dettagli di “GIACOMO” che aveva dato il suo nome come L.H.J. BROWN. Per rendere l’identificazione di “GIACOMO” più certa, ho incluso una descrizione di “GIACOMO” nella dichiarazione di LUZI.

Lo stesso giorno ho visitato la fattoria di ROSSI Nazzareno a ORTEZZANO, il quale ha immediatamente riconosciuto i due corpi mostrati sulla sinistra della fotografia contrassegnata “A.3” come quelli dei due prigionieri, “DANIELE” e “TOMMASO”, che avevano abitato nella sua fattoria dal 28 Gennaio fino al 5 Marzo 1944. Ho ottenuto i loro dettagli da ROSSI, e i loro nomi erano stati dati rispettivamente come Daniel R. HOLLINGSWORTH e T. WHITE.

Quindi l’identificazione di tutti e quattro i defunti è stata completata per quanto possibile.

Da questa e altre indagini in questo distretto, è evidente che durante il periodo dal 9 al 12 Marzo 1944, ebbe luogo in tutta l’area una serie di spedizioni punitive dirette contro bande di ex-prigionieri di guerra e patrioti, e che il Reggimento S.S. BRANDEBURGO, al comando del Capitano KESTRING con Quartiere Generale ad ASCOLI PICENO, fu l’Unità responsabile. Furono esposti manifesti con l’offerta di una ricompensa per informazioni riguardo ai luoghi dove si trovavano prigionieri evasi e patrioti, e con il divieto per tutti di assisterli od ospitarli. La punizione per chi trasgrediva era la morte. Questi ordini furono autorizzati dal comandante delle truppe Tedesche e a quanto pare furono eseguiti alla lettera dall’ufficiale comandante delle truppe Tedesche nell’area di ASCOLI PICENO e dai suoi subordinati. Che l’ufficiale o gli ufficiali responsabili del distaccamento di MONTALTO sembrassero essere stati investiti di pieni poteri è evidente dal fatto che VECCHIARELLI Giuseppe e CORSALETTI Vittorio furono liberati, e qualsiasi azione intrapresa da questi ufficiali deve essere stata approvata dall’ufficiale comandante in ASCOLI.

Da quando fu commesso il delitto, il PONTE DRAGONE è stato distrutto quasi completamente prima della ritirata dei Tedeschi, ma dal momento che un quadro verbale della scena del crimine avrebbe lasciato molto da desiderare, sono state fatte fotografie che sono state numerate come Reperti “B.1”, “B.2”, “B.3”, e “B.4” di questo caso.

I rapporti dell’ex-Prigioniero di Guerra J. MYERS e del Comitato di Liberazione di MONTEDINOVE, mentre forniscono una base per questa indagine, sono così divergenti nei dettagli dai fatti veri da poter essere completamente ridimensionati.

Se fosse richiesta ulteriore prova dell’identità dei defunti, suggerirei rispettosamente di contattare Ernest CHAUNTRY.

In conclusione vorrei sottolineare che il Tenente FISCHER fu responsabile del rilascio di VECCHIARELLI Giuseppe e di CORSALETTI Vittorio, perciò sembrerebbe che lui fosse l’ufficiale responsabile del Distaccamento di MONTALTO quando il crimine fu commesso.

16 Maggio 1945
(Firma) W. MOTTRAM. Sergente.
Sezione 60, Speciale Branca Investigativa
Letto e inviato. (Firma)
(Firma) D.A. THORN. Tenente.
Sezione 60, Branca Speciale Investigativa.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s