William A. Hall Returned to Safety

William Albert Hall

American Private First Class William A. Hall was reported returned to safety after capture, imprisonment, and escape in the following Canandaigua-area (New York) newspaper article circa late-June 1944.

This and other articles and photos concerning William Hall were provided by his daughter Nancy Elizabeth Suyak (Hall) of Jack, Alabama.

Canandaiguan Escapes Second Time from Axis Captors, Rejoins Unit

One of the first Canandaiguans to be taken prisoner of war, who escaped from the Italians and was recaptured by the Germans, is again at liberty and has rejoined his unit in the European Theater of Operations, according to word received by his father, John W. Hall, of this city.

He is Pfc. William H. Hall [sic—William’s middle name is Albert], a member of Co. A 18th Infantry, who enlisted in the Army in December, 1940, and went overseas in August, 1942. He saw service in England, Scotland, and North Africa, where he is believed to have been captured by the Germans in the Allied drive on Tunisia in December, 1942.

Gets Letter Today

Since Saturday, three messages have been received by Mr. Hall, one in his son’s handwriting, which arrived today and two telegrams, one from Pvt. Hall and the other from the War Department.

First came the telegram from Pvt. Hall from Sancorigine via Mackay Radio, which was dated June 30, his birthday, and said: “Please don’t worry. You are more than ever in my thoughts at this time. I wish we were together on this special occasion. All my best wishes for a speedy reunion.”

On Monday, the War Department notified Mr. Hall as follows:

“Am pleased to inform you your son, Pfc. William H. Hall, returned to duty 18th June 1944. Undoubtedly he will communicate with you at an early date concerning his welfare and whereabouts. It was signed by Adjt. General Ulio.

Says He’s Happy

An air mail letter arrived today, which was apparently dated in the June 20’s, as the postmark was blurred. The text of the letter read:

“I am just dropping you a few lines to let you know I am very good at the present. Will be coming back in a few weeks, I hope! I am too happy at the present to write much and I can’t say much: so don’t worry any more.”

Pvt. Hall was reported imprisoned from Dec. 24, 1942 to September 1943, when he escaped with about 250 other Italian-held prisoners and was recaptured by the Germans, later escaping. At the same time Cpl. Ralph E. Hoag, of this city, and a Manchester soldier, named Rubens, escaped from the Italians, Hoag being recaptured by the Germans and Rubens getting back to his own lines and later visiting at his home. According to Mr. Hall, his son spent two nights with Rubens before he (Hall) was recaptured.